The Importance of Vaccines
The process of vaccine research and development takes a long time, the vaccine is for healthy individuals as a precautionary measure. The provision of vaccines could protect individuals and community groups from infectious diseases, so that not only people who have received immunizations, but also protect anyone in their environment (herd immunity). According to recommendations from the World Health Organization (WHO) that vaccines are the most effective form of prevention at present in combating various dangerous and infectious diseases. Bio Farma is committed to continuously developing and producing novel vaccines to prevent the spread of viruses and bacteria, as well as other diseases that pose a threat to global health.
Research & Development
Bio Farma currently continues to innovate, cooperate on research and development of new products with national and global institutions and universities. Since 2011 Bio Farma has been the initiator of the formation of the National Vaccine Research Forum (FRVN) which aims for vaccine independence towards the 2011-2020 Vaccine Decade. This initiative began with the establishment of collaboration between industry, government and universities to build a shared commitment towards national vaccine research and production independence to encourage research acceleration so that the community could have and utilize the results. Bio Farma has prepared a roadmap in order to support future vaccine research and development. This roadmap is also expected to realize an affordable vaccine in support of the 2011-2020 Vaccine Decade program by conducting some quick win vaccine research and development, namely Rotavirus Vaccine, SIPV (Sabin Inactivated Polio Vaccine) and several other vaccine candidates that are still in the proof of concept.
Lines of Business
The primary business lines of PT Bio Farma (Persero) are:
- Research and development of life sciences products - independently or in partnership with external parties;
- Production of life sciences products – independently or in partnership with external parties;
- Marketing, trade, and distribution of life sciences products and medical devices, including general goods, in domestic and international markets;
- Health screening service and clinics;
- Services pertaining to the above.
Supporting Business Activities
Supporting Business Activities of PT Bio Farma (Persero) are:
- Industrial microbiology laboratory services;
- Corporate and public vaccination services;
- Bio Farma Pharmacy services.