Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV) is a trivalent vaccine. It is a reddish yellow liquid, which is packed in glass vial. It contains suspensions of types 1, 2 and 3 attenuated Polio viruses (Sabin strains). This vaccine is a suspension to be administered orally with dropper.
Each dose (2 drops = 0.1 mL) contains:
• Attenuated Polio virus (Sabin strain) type 1 ≥ 106.0 CCID50* type 2 ≥ 105.0 CCID50 type 3 ≥ 105.8 CCID50
• Erythromycin not more than 2 mcg
• Kanamycin not more than 10 mcg
• Sucrose (stabilizer) 35 % v/v
* CCID50 = Cell Culture Infective Dose 50
Active immunization against poliomyelitis.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Stimulates the body to produce antibody against Poliomyelitis.
- OPV must only be administered orally. Two drops are delivered directly into the mouth from the multidose vial by dropper.
- Care should be taken not to contaminate a multi-dose dropper with saliva.
- Infants should receive at least 3 doses of OPV with intervals of 4 weeks, at 2 months of age.
- Booster is given 1 to 3 years afterward; 1 dose.
- In the vast majority of cases there are no side effects. Very rarely, there may be vaccine- associated paralysis (one case per 1 million doses administered).
- Persons in close contact with a recent- ly vaccinated child may very rarely be at risk of vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis (one case per 1,400,000 until one case per 3,400,000 doses).
- Guillain Barré Syndrome.
- In case of diarrhea, the dose received will not be counted as part of the im- munization schedule and it should be repeated after recovery.
- Leukaemia and disgammaglobuline- mia patients.
- Children with acute infection along with fever.
- Children with immunological deficiency.
- Children with immunosuppressive treatment.
WARNING & PRECAUTION
- Must only be administered orally
- Simultaneous vaccination with another live vaccine should be administered separately
- See information on vaccine administration (page 87)
- Vaccine is potent if stored at not more than -20°C until the expiry date indi- cated on the label of the vial.
- It can be stored for up to six months between +2°C to +8°C.
- Expiry date 2 years.
The use of Opened Multi-Dose Vial Vaccine
Multi-dose vials of OPV from which one or more doses of vaccine have been removed during an immunization session may be used in subsequent immunization session for up to a maximum of 4 weeks, provided that all of required conditions are met.
• Box : 10 vials @ 1 mL (10 doses)
• Box : 10 vials @ 2 mL (20 doses)
• Box : 50 vials @ 2 mL (20 doses)